The Australian Terrier Club of America logo

The Australian Terrier Club of America

Dedicated to the Advancement of Quality, Purebred Australian Terriers

AKC Parent Club Member 1977
Founded 1958

Search

BEWARE – TOXIC TO DOGS

Dedicated dog lovers tend to be very kind people. We share our hearts and homes (and for some lucky pups, even the foot of our beds) with our canine pals. Surely there is nothing wrong with sharing our favorite people foods with our dogs too, right? Not necessarily. Many of the foods, such as fruits and vegetables, that people digest just fine can wreak havoc on a dog’s body, causing severe health problems. On the other hand, some of the foods people eat can be introduced to a dog’s diet just fine, and even provide health benefits such as joint strength, better breath, and allergy immunity.

Read more on AKC website.

But before giving your dog foods that you crave, read on and learn which foods or products can send your dog straight to the emergency vet.

food that is toxic to dogs
  1. Pine Sol – Pine sol has been linked to seizures in dogs and has also been linked to deaths. It contains a chemical, phenol, which is acidic and toxic to animals.
  2. Sulfa Drugs – SMZ/TMP or Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim should not be used in dogs with liver tissue damage, blood cell problems, dogs that are dehydrated or at an increased risk for urinary stones or those allergic to sulfonamides. Signs of overdose or acute toxicity: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, depression, confusion and facial swelling. Side effects of this sulfa drug may include dry eye, acute neutrophilic hepatitis with jaundice, vomiting, diarrhea, fever, decreased appetite, facial swelling, increased thirst and urination, hives and polyarthritis, hypothyroidism, anaphylaxis, blood effects (amenia, decreased production of certain white blood cells). Contact veterinarian immediately if you suspect your dog has received an overdose or is showing an allergic reaction to trimethoprim-sulfa.
  3. Tea Tree Oil – While used as a “natural” substance in some shampoos and in other substances, Tea Tree Oil is lethal to dogs. Even licking a treated site may cause severe damage or be fatal.
  4. Chocolate – Anything containing cocoa or chocolate should be avoided. This warning extends to chocolate substitutes. Even mulch made from coca shell for your yard can be deadly to dogs.
  5. Grapes & Raisins – Though it isn’t clear just what makes grapes and raisins toxic to dogs, even a relatively small amount can damage the kidneys. Avoid giving bits of cookie or other foods that contain raisins.
  6. Garlic, Onions, and Powders – Whether fresh, cooked or powdered, garlic and onions can be toxic to dogs because they can damage red blood cells. Onions are more of a problem than garlic, but both should be avoided.
  7. Macadamia Nuts – They are considered toxic to dogs because they tend to cause gastrointestinal upsets, lethargy, vomiting and muscle tremors or stiffness.
  8. Mushrooms – Various species of mushrooms are toxic to dogs and can cause shock and death. Do not feed any type. Pluck “backyard mushrooms” that might sprout on the lawn, as these are known to be toxic to canines. Make it a habit to do a MUSHROOM CHECK weekly or more often. You may save your dog’s life.
  9. Xylitol – Marketed now as BIRCH SUGAR. This is a sugar substitute found in many candies, chewable vitamins, sugarless baked goods, toothpaste, peanut butter, ice cream and in many sugarless gums. As little as just one or two sticks of gum can kill a small dog. Within 15-30 minutes a dog’s insulin levels will surge and blood sugar levels will drip, resulting in lethargy and loss of balance. Permanent brain damage can occur and without treatment liver failure will result in death within 24 hours. Diabetics that have sugarless bakes good or other sugarless products n the home should keep those products away from the dog. If a dog should ingest a product that contains xylitol call your veterinarian or animal emergency services immediately!
  10. Other Foods – Foods to avoid include raw potatoes, turkey skin, nutmeg and anything with caffeine including coffee grounds and tea. Alcohol and beer should also be avoided as alcohol poisoning can lead to coma and death. Marijuana is toxic to dogs whether from secondhand smoke or from direct ingestion of marijuana.
  11. Antifreeze – Antifreeze is well known as being extremely toxic to animals. Because of its sweet taste, animals will lap it up. It will destroy the animal’s kidneys and the dogs will succumb to acute renal shutdown – a horrible death. Be careful when walking your dog on paved streets and avoid wet spots that might be antifreeze.
  12. Steroids – Cortisone (referred to as cortisol) is the main hormone produced by the adrenal gland which is a class of steroids. Glucocorticoids counter the effects of insulin and basically have an overall blood sugar raising effect. Another class of steroids are called anabolic steroids. Short term use can mean a temporary diabetic condition, which usually brings with it higher blood glucose levels. Long term use can cause permanent diabetes. For dogs who are diabetic, the use or oral or injected steroids brings with it higher blood glucose levels. It can also mean development of urinary tract infections which need urine cultures to diagnose. Discuss with your Veterinarian the pros and cons of treatments involving steroids.

 

 

**DISCLAIMER**  Any information contained on this website relating to any medical, health, and fitness conditions of Australian Terriers and their treatment is for informational purposes only.  It is not meant to be a substitute for the advice from your own veterinarian.  The information shown on this website should not be used for diagnosing your Aussie’s health.  You should always consult your own veterinarian.

Verified by MonsterInsights