Pets are like children – they can’t resist investigating and putting things in their mouths. That’s why poison-proofing your home is so important. Here are some important steps from the Pet Poison Helpline that can make your home safer for pets:
1. Make sure your houseplants are non-toxic. Check out lists of poisonous plants on the ASPCA guide of toxic plants before purchasing and bringing them home.
2. Store medications in secure area and out of reach of pets.
3. Secure garbage cans behind closed doors.
4. Keep ashtrays, cigarettes, and smoking cessation products out of reach.
5. Put your purse in an area where your pets cannot access it.
6. Keep pets out of the room when using toilet cleaners or other cleaning products.
7. If you use an automatic toilet bowl cleaner, always close the toilet lid.
8. Keep rodenticides (rat poison) out of reach from your pets.
9. Keep glue out of reach. Some glues, such as Gorilla Glue®, expand greatly once ingested and require surgical removal. Just one ounce of glue may expand to the size of a basketball.
10. Read all labels and instructions before using or applying.
If you think that your pet may have ingested any of these poisons or any other questionable substances, contact your veterinarian or the Pet Poison Helpline at (855) -764-7661 (incident fee applies) immediately. It will be very helpful if you can identify the substance and bring the package, label, or picture of it with you.
More Information: AKC Website
This list contains plants that have been reported as having systemic effects on animals and/or intense effects on the gastrointestinal tract. Please note that the information contained in our plant lists is not meant to be all-inclusive, but rather a compilation of the most frequently encountered plants. Individual plants may differ in appearance from the photos used on our listings. Please be sure to check the name of the plant to determine its toxicity.
Also, be advised that the consumption of any plant material may cause vomiting and gastrointestinal upset for dogs and cats. Plants listed as either non-toxic, or potentially toxic with mild GI upset as their symptoms are not expected to be life-threatening to your pets.
If you believe that your animal is ill or may have ingested a poisonous substance, or if you have any further questions regarding the information contained in this database, contact either your local veterinarian or the APCC 24-hour emergency poison hotline at 1-888-426-4435.
**DISCLAIMER** Any information contained on this website relating to any medical, health, and fitness conditions of Australian Terriers and their treatment is for informational purposes only. It is not meant to be a substitute for the advice from your own veterinarian. The information shown on this website should not be used for diagnosing your Aussie’s health. You should always consult your own veterinarian.