Children have always been an important part of the future of canine sports, dating back to 1920 when the first competition for children handlers was held. Think of Junior Showmanship (also called “Junior Handling”) as a training ground for a life-long journey in dog shows and sports. Children 9 to 18 years old learn basic handling abilities, and how to care for, and present, different breeds in a competition. While Juniors are judged by an official AKC Judge, it’s the quality of their presentation that is judged, not the dog.
Participating in Junior Showmanship will teach your child many important life lessons — how to be a good sport, how to put one’s mind to something and master it; and how training can lead to a very special bond with a dog. And who knows? Your kid just might love Junior Showmanship so much it might eventually lead to a possible career path!
For more information, go to: https://www.akc.org/sports/conformation/junior-showmanship/
Junior Showmanship Membership is open to persons between 9 and 17 years of age. These members may not vote or hold office.
ATCA Junior Members pay dues at a reduced rate (currently $8.00/year) from that of Regular Members and may become Regular Members upon reaching their 18th birthday and so notifying the Recording Secretary.
Junior Members can also become qualified for the ATCA Junior Scholarship Program for post high school tuition assistance. See below for more information of the ATCA Junior Scholarship Program.
Scholarships are intended as tuition assistance for students affiliated with the Australian Terrier Club of America (ATCA). Awards are based on:
• Scholastic record and academic merit;
• Community experience with responsible pet ownership;
• Qualifications and Eligibility:
○ Applicant must be an ATCA member or a family member of an ATCA member;
○ Applicant must be a full-time student enrolled in a degree or certification program at an accredited U.S. institution;
○ Scholarship must be used for tuition and will be paid directly to the institution on the student’s behalf;
○ Each Applicant is eligible to receive only one ATCA Scholarship;
• Completed Grant Application form with additional sheets attached as needed. The original form is required and must be signed and dated. If Junior is under 18 years of age, an adult must sign the application;
•Two (2) letters of recommendation;
•Academic transcript (most recent) and completed applications must be postmarked by July 15th.
Mail completed applications, transcripts, and all other required materials to:
ATCA Scholarship Chair
20717 Kishwaukee Valley Rd
Marengo, IL 60152-9213
If completed online, all required application materials along with any other supporting documentation can be emailed to Jennifer at: email@example.com